RESOURCES FOR SENIORS
Below are useful links to some local organizations serving seniors.
Montgomery County Senior Transportation Web Site:
Connect A Ride (CAR): (301) 738-3253 (9:00 am to 5:00 pm).
Diagnostic Testing, Therapies and Drug Disposal
This is a movement implemented by more than forty medical specialty, allied health and consumer organizations to identify the rationale for the use of some of the most common diagnostic tests and therapies, and the most common unnecessary and potentially harmful uses.
Fraud and Scam Prevention
Scams: What You Need to Know - Descriptions of common scams compiled by the Maryland State Attorney General Office's Consumer Protection Division
Local Resources--Maryland and Montgomery County
Montgomery County has an A-to-Z List of how to dispose of just about every item imaginable!
- New!! Senior Call Check Program sponsored by the Maryland Department of Aging. This is a first-in-the-nation pilot program. Call Check places a daily call to registered older Maryland residents. Learn more about the program on the website, or call 1-800-243-3425.
- Montgomery County Senior Site
- Web site with a wide variety of information and many useful links, including:
- Montgomery County DHHS Senior Services Web Site
- Dementia Friendly Montgomery County - Recognize the signs and symptoms of dementia. Learn how to help friends and family living with dementia to stay in their homes longer. Become a Dementia Friend.
- Wandering Prevention and Preparedness for caregivers of people with Autism, Intellectual Disabilities and Alzheimer's
- Archive of Montgomery County Seniors Today television programs
- Montgomery County Fire & Rescue File of Life Program - The File of Life is a red, magnetic packet that contains vitally important medical information about you. A File of Life packet enables first responders to get a quick and accurate medical history when a patient or family member is unable to offer one.
- Widowed Persons Outreach
Iona Senior Services in Northwest DC
- Bereavement support groups, educational seminars, one-on-one mentor volunteers, newsletter, and special events
- Iona's Loan Closet accepts and loans out lightly used durable medical equipment to help with aging and temporary disability (wheelchairs, canes, tub seats). Accepts and distributes new hygiene and nutrition items (incontinence products, nutrition supplements).
Other Organizations - Links to Organizations and Reports
Return to TOP
Use this interactive map to search for a Village in your neighborhood of Montgomery County, Maryland: Interactive Map
For a full listing of Washington, DC Area Villages, including those in development, visit the Washington Area Villages Exchange (WAVE) website
For information on the Village movement
, including a national Villages map and instructions on how to start a Village in your area, visit the Village To Village Network web site: VtV Network
Return to TOP
Updated: 06/24/2020 fp